Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Time Management Challenges

It's after 3:30 p.m. and I feel as though I can finally get some work done that isn't needed by someone else! But as I turn on my music and settle in, someone walks in the door. Oh, my. I forgot to shut and lock the doors. (But I did turn off almost all the lights. . . ) Never mind, it's just a parent talking on her cell phone (apparently my music doesn't bother her - she just talks louder). And her toddler is mostly pointing at things and babbling. He hasn't started pulling on too many things yet. And now a seventh grader is frustrated because the printer is off. . . so I told him to turn it back on. Am I just too grouchy? By the end of the day, I just want to be alone for ten minutes or so. I feel almost paralyzed by the growing mound of projects and papers . . . and this has been a relatively quiet week!

How do others deal with the constant demands? Here are some of my favorite de-stressers that I might need to start practicing soon!
- go for a brisk 5-minute walk
- just lock up & leave. Going home at a decent hour is often the therapy I need.
- make a list and pick just one "most important" thing to do
- do something physical - reshelve books, wash my dirty dishes, whatever
- shut & lock the doors! (And turn off lights so people don't bang on the doors to get in)
- play gorgeous music & sing along

I'd love to hear everyone else's ideas!

1 comment:

msreighard said...

I like to take the dog for a walk. Seeing how excited the dog gets for a little walk makes my day.