Friday, August 29, 2008

Drupal

I kept two of the St. Paul MILI bloggers in my RSS feed. One of them had a cool blog about librarians and the value we hold in a school. The thrust of the blog entry was about the cutting-edge use of Drupal. I read that and went, "Huh?" I clicked on the link to the article that praised the librarian's use of Drupal and it went right over my head. So I went to my friendly Wikipedia site and read about it. It was still a little too "techie" for me, but it made me think about our students' learning curves.

First, you hear about something you've never heard of before. Then you get some information on it. Then you try it. Then you learn more about it, etc.

I had noticed the little orange RSS symbol before I heard Dr. Warlick talk about it in August 2006. After that, when I saw it, I "got" what it was for, but still didn't see a use for it. Then in MILI last year, we set up our readers and got feeds from all the other MILI blogs. Then this July, I added all the solar car blogs and read voraciously during the race! Now I love to click on my reader to see what new stuff has been published. There are a couple of blogs that I just click "Mark all as read" unless I truly have the time to sort through a lot of posts. But for the most part, I can keep up to date in a very little time.

Will I ever use Drupal? No clue. But at least now, I've heard of it.

No comments: